Sunday, October 23, 2011

Dr. Rochin's Advice

A few weeks ago we had guest speaker Dr. Rochin come in and speak to our FREX class about his life reach and how he got started in his profession. That ultimately led us to the discussion of how to become more involved with our profession or major. He told us the three key things that would give us a good head start on accomplishing our goals. Number one the first thing to do is build up on your associations by looking for scholarships that maybe justify your major basically it’s like finding an internship. The second goal is language you have to understand the language of your profession or major so that you know what you’re doing. In a sense you’re letting people know that you are serious about what you’re doing and you’re willing to pursue it. As of now I’m majoring in Sociology and to be honest I’m not too sure about its language. I feel like I’m still undecided about what it is that I really want to pursue a career in. However I think that an interview with Professor Boehm which is the sociology professor here at TLU will help me obtain a good feel for this major so that I can understand it better. Lastly, Dr. Rochin mentioned building up your contacts by networking. It’s good to get to know the people that share the same interest as you. It’s also good to search for internships and look into maybe understudying a professor in your major for good guidance. Sometimes who you know can get you very far and I believe Dr.Rochin shared that with us as well.
By not having any good insight on my major it’s difficult to begin this three step process. I guess that’s why everyone is told to be sure they’re doing what they want to do and explore which is why I can also understand why TLU is a liberal arts university. It’s not to scare us away but it’s to get us to recognize what connects to us to make us pursue a certain career. This is just the first step of many to get me going. In order to learn you have to explore and search and once I’m done with that then I can take the advice of Dr.Rochin.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment