Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thoughts on Turkle and Solove

In English Comp we have been discussing new technology and social media. Along with this topic of discussion we have to write a paper about its effects on college students academically and then just the overall effects of social media. Prof. Barry then introduces two chapters from two different books one written by Daniel Solove and Sherry Turkle. Daniel Solove makes a very good point with his story about the dog poop girl. I think that this should open people’s eyes to what really goes on around them. It almost seems as though we’re not as free as we think. If someone can just take your picture and post for the whole world to see that’s a problem. I know for a fact that I would not want anybody taking my picture without my consent and showcasing my business to billions of people. I can understand that they were trying to prove a point but they singlehandedly ruined this girls life. I mean yes it was very trifling for her to leave the dog poop on the subway but she’s only human. People are not taking in account how this could affect her life and sometimes these things lead to depression which slowly but surely kills you and then at times it even could lead to suicide. You never know what someone is going through and even though I know our society is so judgmental we could at least try and be more considerate.
 As I was sitting in at the Krost Symposium I realized that a lot of what they were pointing out was so very true but I myself never had to worry about what I posted or uploaded on FB, Twitter, or MySpace. The way I was brought up was to respect myself and to realize that even when I my doubt myself at times that I don’t have to have revealing pictures and post my business for the entire world to see. Like Sherry Turkle said it’s like we try to validate our feelings by trying to get other people’s approval. While at times that’s true, for me I write what I feel and whoever agrees with me understand my logic. But will everybody see what Turkle and Solove are trying to convey? The answer is no because people do what they want to do and what appeals to them. People are too quick to make the wrong statement and they don’t care. I think it’ll take more than just a book and speech to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment